Table of Contents
MentorCruise is a mentorship platform with mentors from top technology companies worldwide, such as Google, Apple and GitHub.
After experiencing unsatisfying results from past content marketing agencies, MentorCruise decided to try out our services. In this case study, we’ll explore how MentorCruise increased their monthly recurring revenue by 107% and monthly trials by 100% through our help. This experience helped MentorCruise realize the opportunities in significantly expanding upon their distribution and reaching more mentors and mentees in the process through SEO.
The Problem - MentorCruise’s blog was not optimized for SEO
As a community and platform for mentorship, many people discover MentorCruise through Google. While it already had a blog, the content it was producing wasn’t optimized to rank for relevant keywords.
As Dominic Monn, the founder of MentorCruise, says, “SEO has always been our most attractive channel, with conversion rates up to 5x higher than any other. Investing in it was a no-brainer.”
Having no time for creating great SEO content constantly, Dominic tried out some content marketing agencies to jumpstart MentorCruise’s SEO strategy. But he wasn’t happy with the results and had the following problems:
- The keyword research wasn’t targeted enough for needs and included suggestions that MentorCruise would not have been able to rank for
- The content lacked in depth
- The content didn’t cater to MentorCruise’s target audience
To sum up, the content was generic. Dominic began looking for other alternatives and stumbled upon Embarque. After a short exploratory call to define the deliverables, he decided to order a few SEO articles from us.
Dominic goes on to say, “the content we’ve gotten from other services was flat and unexciting and served purely for SEO reasons. Since working with Embarque, we are getting compliments on the insights of our content too. It’s priceless.”
The Solution - Focusing on implementing SEO content systems and optimizing old content
As MentorCruise was just at the beginning of its SEO strategy, we were able to grow fast by focusing on ranking for keywords related to mentorship. We’ve done the following things to help MentorCruise create an SEO-based customer acquisition funnel:
- Prioritized low-level keyword research. MentorCruise has a domain rating of 35. While this DR was still below many of its competitors, there were already many low-level, high-volume keywords that we could rank for.
- Targeted key customer segments. Career mentorship attracts many different types of people. Gathering data from customer questionnaires and traffic sources helped us identify key customer segments. These included career changers, entrepreneurs and tech professionals. Through this research, we’ve realized how MentorCruise still has an extensive range of topics to cover and produce helpful content around.
- Setting blog processes and branding guidelines. We scaled up a process for ensuring that every blog post is aligned with MentorCruise’s branding guidelines. Every piece of content to be optimized for branding, the target audience segment, and search.
- Executed on an SEO content calendar. We started creating great content around low-level, high-volume keywords searched by relevant customer segments.
- Content republishing. We’ve gone through blog posts that were over a year old and could be optimized to target specific keywords. Old blog posts tend to rank faster because Google’s already indexed them in some form or another.
Results - More than 107% increase in monthly recurring revenue
In a nutshell, MentorCruise experienced:
- 114% increase in total monthly traffic
- More than 100% increase in monthly trials
- More than 107% increase in monthly recurring revenue
By focusing on creating great content that converts at scale, MentorCruise saw results from our efforts just after a couple of months. As Dominic mentions, “Embarque’s services didn’t just feel like another writing gig, but they also offered a high-level SEO strategy and framework to drive more traffic to my business.”
Since starting on our SEO content strategy, MentorCruise’s traffic increased by 114%. Today, MentorCruise’s top 5 visited blog posts came from us. We’ve significantly increased traffic by prioritizing creating SEO content around mentorship-related keywords and updating old blog posts.
Old blog posts that received 0 traffic immediately saw 100 new visitors just a week after initiating content updates. For instance, the republished article on the definition of mentorship quickly rose from position #30 in the US to #5 in a week. As Dominic says, “the eye-opener was the republishing. Suddenly, the old blog post I personally wrote two years ago became the biggest traffic magnet of all blog posts!”
Conversions significantly went up, too. As we’ve been targeting keywords searched by people actively looking for mentorships and optimizing each blog post for conversion, these led to a 100% increase in monthly trials. “I can see the payoff on a weekly basis,” Dominic claims, “as we’re targeting more and more low-level keywords, with each bringing at least several additional hundred people to the website every month.”
These efforts cumulatively led to a 107% increase in monthly recurring revenue.
- You can significantly expand your reach through SEO. Through effective keyword research and targeting, we’ve realized the potential that MentorCruise has in considerably increasing its organic search traffic. As Dominic says, “it’s exciting to see this rapid growth and realize that we’re just starting on our SEO strategy.”
- Your SEO efforts will never be in vain. Through content updates, old blog posts quickly rose to the top 10 results for relevant keywords. Dominic has realized that SEO content is ultimately a long-term investment that will inevitably pay, even when the returns aren’t initially clear-cut.
- SEO is a distribution channel optimized for scale. MentorCruise already validated the need for its services. By fleshing out its target audience segments, we were able to do effective keyword research and target a wide range of people searching for many different topics related to career-based help.
Create Great SEO content at scale with Embarque
Mentorship is a wide-spanning topic that touches many different industries and can target different types of professionals at various career stages. MentorCruise is just at the start of its SEO journey to drive in relevant traffic and increase its revenue, and we’re expecting even more significant results in the next few months.
Do you have a business that can benefit from scaling your SEO processes? Or simply interested in our services? Feel free to email email@example.com.